A craniotomy is a surgery that is done to cut a bony opening in the skull. A bone flap, a section of the skull, is removed to access the brain underneath. The surgery may be small or large which particularly depends on the problem. It is performed to treat brain tumors, hematomas, aneurysms or AVMs, traumatic head injury, foreign objects, swelling of the brain, or infection.
At the end of the procedure/surgery, the bone flap is replaced with tiny plates and screws.
Craniotomy, the name is derived according to the area of the skull (cranium). After the surgery, the bone flap is replaced or covered with plates and screws. If it’s not replaced, the procedure is called a craniectomy.
NEED FOR A CRANIOTOMY
Following are the reasons that require craniotomy:
- Removal of Brain tumors
- Hematomas (Blood Clots)
- Tumor Biopsy
- Traumatic brain injury
- Hemorrhage Treatment
- Treatment of Aneurysms
- Repaired the damaged tissue
- Abscesses Brain aneurysm repair
- Severe nerve or facial pain
- Epilepsy Treatment
- Repairing the Skull Fractures
- Brain Infection
- Removal of an arteriovenous Fistula (AVF)
- Arteriovenous malformation (AVM),
- Parkinson’s disease or dystonia with an internal stimulator device.
Know more about Craniotomy
Craniotomies vary in size/complexity. Therefore, Use different precise instruments/types of equipment through these small holes like Stereotactic frames, image-guided computer systems, or endoscopes.
Use Burr holes/keyholes to:
- Insert a shunt into the ventricle to drain cerebrospinal fluid (treatment for hydrocephalus)
- Put a deep brain stimulator
- Place an intracranial pressure monitor
- remove a sample of tissue cells
- drain a blood clot
- to remove tumors
In the cases of complex craniotomies, bone removal is required that supports the bottom of the brain. That’s the point where delicate cranial nerves, arteries, and veins exit the skull. Whereas, in the cases of reconstruction of the skull base, there is a requirement of additional expertise of head-and-neck, otologic, or plastic surgeons.
There is another category of craniotomies called the Awake craniotomies. Brain Mapping is a process that identifies your unique brain areas for speech and helps the surgeon avoid and protect these functions.
Craniotomy Surgery Cost In India:
The surgery cost may vary from place to place, depending upon the procedure and complexities involved. Generally, Craniotomy Surgery costs in India may range from $4600 to $6500.
It may involve:
- Room Rent
- Cost of Surgery
- Consultation by Primary Team in Package days
- Basic Investigations
- Routine Pharmacy and Consumables, and
- Patient’s Food
Whereas, exclude some of the components or expenditures from the regular package like:
- Overstay more than package days,
- Any Specialty Consultations,
- Special Equipment,
- Additional Procedure/Surgery.
- Blood Components, etc
Renowned Craniotomy Surgery Doctors in India:
Here are some specialised craniotomy surgery doctors in India:
1. Aditya Gupta
Neurosurgeon | Director And Senior Consultant
MBBS, MS (Surgery)
Works at Artemis Hospital
- Presently practicing in the World’s renowned Artemis Hospital, Gurgaon
- Cofounded the Institute of Neurosciences at Medanta Hospital
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Graduate
2. Bipin S Walia
Neurosurgeon | Senior Director And Head
MBBS, MS, MCh
Works at Max Super Specialty Hospital Saket
New Delhi, India
- One of the Best Neurosurgeons in New Delhi
- Has performed more than 7000 spinal surgeries
- Recognized as a pioneer in endoscopic disc surgery
- Expert in the area of motion-preserving surgery, disc replacement surgery, Image-guided surgery, endoscopic cranial surgery, and brain tumor surgery
3. Sandeep Vaishya
Neurosurgeon | Executive Director
MBBS, MS – General Surgery, MCh – Neurosurgery
Works at Fortis Memorial Research Institute
- One of the best Neurosurgeons in India
- Clinical experience of 20 years in the field
- Globally renowned Indian doctors received the coveted Herbert Krause Medal and the Sundt Fellowship at Mayo Clinic, USA
Reach out to the best doctors for your treatment. Therefore, You can also research some of the best doctors and get in touch with them. Some websites provide an opportunity for you to send a free query to such doctors.
Here’s probably an overview that you need about Craniotomy. If you face any symptoms, please reach out to your doctor on an urgent basis.