Yoga is such a medium, with the help of which many problems can be prevented from growing. One of these is the increase in cholesterol, which causes many problems related to the heart. Cholesterol can increase due to oily and fatty foods. Yoga is considered a great option to reduce it. In this article, we will tell how yoga is beneficial to reduce high cholesterol and which yoga to do to reduce cholesterol.
If you want to explore and learn more about yoga poses, you can join the Yoga School in Rishikesh, India.
What is cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a type of fat that is waxy and sticky in appearance. It is mainly produced in the liver. For this reason, cholesterol does not need to be taken from foods, especially dairy products. The body makes cholesterol itself, so its control is important. Uncontrolled cholesterol can lead to the risk of heart disease, such as blood clotting, obesity, high BP, heart stroke. For this reason, it is important to have normal cholesterol levels.
How does cholesterol increase?
There are many reasons behind increasing cholesterol, which, if taken into account, can be prevented from increasing. These reasons include:
Poor diet – LDL (bad) cholesterol levels can increase if one eats high-fat food. These foods include meat, dairy products, chocolate, and more fried foods.
Less physical activity – Getting less physical activity can lower HDL (good) cholesterol levels. Due to this, the level of bad cholesterol can be increased.
Smoking – For people who smoke, their HDL ie good cholesterol starts decreasing. Also, the level of LDL cholesterol can start increasing.
It is generally advised to take a balanced diet along with exercise to reduce cholesterol. Of course, exercise and a balanced diet are essential for health, but in some cases, cholesterol alone cannot be controlled. In such a situation, doctors also recommend incorporating yoga along with exercise in the routine to reduce cholesterol.
Research in this regard also mentions that by doing yoga, the level of bad cholesterol (LDL) can be reduced and the level of good cholesterol (HDL) can be better. With this, the risks arising due to high cholesterol, such as – thickening of the blood, obesity, high BP, heart stroke can be reduced. In such a situation, it can be said that by doing yoga, cholesterol can be controlled.
Yoga to reduce cholesterol
Many yoga asana can be done to reduce high cholesterol. We are telling about all these yoga asana in further detail. Talking about the benefits, all these yoga asana can help in reducing bad cholesterol and increasing good cholesterol by strengthening the body’s metabolic process.
Sarvangasana yoga can be done to reduce high cholesterol. According to a study, regular yoga can reduce the level of bad cholesterol such as total cholesterol, total triglycerides, low-density lipoprotein, and very-low-density lipoprotein. Also, yoga can increase the level of High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL). Sarvangasana is also one of the yogas described as beneficial in research.
How to do Yoga:
- First of all, lay a yoga mat and lie down comfortably on your back.
- During this, keep the hands close to the body by the side of the waist.
- Now slowly raise your legs upwards.
- Then support the waist and hips with your hands and lift them up from the ground.
- After this, keeping the elbows on the ground, support the back with your hands, and straighten the legs.
- Keep in mind that while doing this, the knees and feet should be together.
- Also make sure that the entire weight of the body is on the shoulders, head, and elbows with the chin touching the chest.
- Try to stay in this posture for a few seconds and slowly inhale and exhale.
- Now take a deep breath and come back slowly to the starting position.
- Do not do this asana at all in the problem of hernia.
- Do not attempt this asana if you have neck or shoulder injury or pain.
- In case of thyroid problems, practice this asana only under the supervision of the instructor.
- This asana should not be done in case of heart disease.
The name of Paschimottasana is also included in the list of yoga to reduce cholesterol. According to scientific research, the cholesterol level increases due to obesity, and obesity can be controlled by doing Paschimottasana. Paschimottasana thus plays a helpful role in cholesterol control by reducing obesity.
How to do Yoga:
- First of all, lay a yoga mat on the ground and sit with your legs stretched forward.
- Keep in mind that while doing this, the knees should be straight and the feet are adjacent to each other.
- Keep the head, neck, and spine straight.
- Now slowly while exhaling, bend forward and try to hold the toes with your hands, taking care that the knees do not bend.
- Now try to remain in this position for a few seconds and keep breathing slowly.
- After this, take a deep breath and straighten up.
- Do not do this asana if you have had surgery on the back, waist, or any other part.
- A person suffering from diarrhea should stay away from this asana.
- Pregnant women should not do this asana.
- Those with asthma, ulcers and slip discs (bone-related disorders) should stay away from this asana.
3. Kapalbhati Pranayama
Kapalbhati Pranayama can be included in the list of yoga asanas for cholesterol. Actually, cholesterol also increases due to obesity, which can be used to reduce Kapalbhati. Regular practice of Kapalbhati can reduce obesity, the positive effect of which can be seen on the control of cholesterol.
How to do Yoga:
- First of all, sit in the posture of Sukhasana or Padmasana by laying a yoga mat.
- Now take a long deep breath and release slowly and in the process of exhaling keep in mind that while doing this, the stomach should go inwards.
- Now keep the mouth closed and keep exhaling and inhaling through the nose.
- Do this process slowly and comfortably. Don’t try to push at all.
- Keep doing this process as long as possible. If you feel tired, stop for a while and repeat the process again.
- In this way, four to five cycles of Kapalbhati can be repeated.
- Do this asana only under the supervision of a specialist who starts practicing for the first time.
- If you have blood pressure, epilepsy, migraine, and heart-related problems, then you must consult a doctor before doing this asana.
- Pregnant women should avoid doing this asana.
- Do not eat anything before doing Kapalbhati.
- Avoid doing this yoga during the menstrual cycle.
If you want to explore and learn more about yoga poses, you can join a Online Yoga Teacher Training Course, India.
4. Ardha Matsyendrasana
If someone’s cholesterol level is increased, then yoga can also be taken for the treatment of high cholesterol. Medical research published in this regard has given that the metabolic rate (metabolic rate) can be improved by doing Ardha Matsyendrasana daily. Improved metabolic rate can reduce harmful cholesterol. It can also boost the level of good cholesterol. In such a situation, Ardha Matsyendrasana can also be given a place in the list of yoga to reduce cholesterol.
How to do Yoga:
- First of all, lay a yoga mat and sit with the legs spread straight in front.
- Now bend your right knee and keep the left leg out to the side of the knee.
- Then keeping the left knee bent, place the left heel under the right hip.
- Keep in mind that the spine should remain straight in this position.
- Now try to hold the right ankle while keeping the left arm outside the right knee.
- Then rotate the neck and waist to the right, now remain in this position for a few seconds, and later repeat this process from the other side as well.
- Women should not practice this asana during menstruation and pregnancy.
- If you have had any kind of surgery, then avoid doing this asana.
- This asana should not be done in case of a peptic ulcer and hernia.
- Do not do this yoga even if there is pain or injury in the spine.